I have wanted to make my own vegan ice cream for a long time – but for some reason thought it would be difficult. I was wrong. I want to share with you the tastiest, dairy free ice cream that you can easily make at home.
I had half a can of coconut milk left in my fridge from a Red Thai Curry I made at the weekend, and I just didn’t want to waste it, so I thought why not freeze it. Then I thought – ah today is the day I make ice cream! So here it is – my recipe for Coconut Ice Cream:
200ml (1/2 can) coconut milk
70ml Sweet Freedom original/ agave syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk the coconut milk in a bowl so it becomes a uniform consistency, add the syrup and vanilla extract and continue to whisk until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour mixture into a tub suitable for freezing, fit the lid and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and beat mixture with a spatula, (breaking up any icicles that may have formed around the edges). Re fit the lid and put back into the freezer for another 30 minutes.
- Repeat step three again, if you have time- repeat until you have ice cream consistency, then skip to step 6.
- If you don’t have the time- leave it in the freezer 6-8 hours, (I left mine overnight.) Then remove it from the freezer and mix it up with a dessert spoon, until its ice cream consistency.
- Store in the freezer until you want to serve!
I don’t think I’ll ever buy ice cream again. This was so delicious, natural, creamy and exotic. Although I might still treat myself to a Booja- Booja ice cream every once in a while maybe!
Next time I will double the ingredients and I might also mix some moo free chocolate through it – Bounty- style ice cream.
Happy ice cream making.